In the ever-changing world of iGaming software development, providing a flawless user experience is make or break. Affiliate marketing efforts to woo new customers are constant and it’s easy for players to switch platforms.
Making sure your games work on the most prevalent devices in your chosen market is an easy way to improve UX — if you have the crowdtesting resources in that market.
This blog post discusses iGaming-specific strategies for device testing that give you the real player data you need for making crucial changes to UX — and then improving customer retention and CPAs.
Why device crowdtesting matters for improving iGaming experiences
The proliferation of mobile devices in iGaming
According to Online Gambling Quarterly 2023 summer edition research, which analyzed the growth potential of some key online gaming products, mobile casino is at the top, followed by mobile betting in second place.
Users now enjoy their favorite games on a diverse array of mobile platforms. The surge poses a significant challenge: how to ensure consistent performance and functionality across the vast assortment of mobile (and non-mobile) device options?
The challenge of device compatibility
Every mobile and non-mobile device comes with its own set of specifications, screen sizes, operating systems, and capabilities. Ensuring compatibility across this wide range of variables is tough.
A glitch-free experience on one device may not translate to the same on another. The challenge lies in conquering this diversity to create a uniform, excellent user experience.
What to know about your device testing approach
Which devices need to be tested on?
It’s essential for iGaming brands to identify the most popular devices in target markets.
Crowdtesting ensures compatibility across a wide range of devices by testing software across various screen sizes, operating systems (OS), and hardware configurations.
Understanding the prevalent devices is crucial, considering the mobile market’s constant evolution. For example:
- Vivo emerged as India’s leading smartphone brand in Q2 2023, surpassing Samsung.
- In Q1 2023, leading mobile brands varied by region with Apple standing out as the dominant force in Asia and North America, Samsung took the lead in Europe and Latin America (source: Counterpoint Research).
Adapting to the mobile preferences in each region is vital for iGaming brands, and crowdtesting offers valuable insights to achieve compatibility.
Real vs simulated testing environments
Incorporating an array of testing environments and tools is key to effective device testing.
Simulators, emulators, and real devices all play crucial roles. Simulators and emulators aid in initial testing phases, providing a cost-effective way to assess compatibility.
However, real device testing is indispensable to replicate actual user experiences and unveil nuances that might go unnoticed in simulations.
An iGaming device testing journey for a software developer
Imagine an iGaming developer crafting a new slot machine game for an online casino platform.
- They begin by using emulators to gauge the game’s performance across virtual devices and web browsers. During this phase, they spot minor graphic distortions on specific Android tablet emulators, signaling responsive design issues.
- Subsequently, they progress to crowdtesting, experimenting with various smartphones, including popular iOS and Android models. In this stage, they detect sporadic crashes on older Android devices with limited RAM during intensive animations.
- Developers then optimize gaming performance for all devices and conduct network testing to ensure smooth gameplay under poor internet conditions, ensuring a seamless user experience for their customers.
The impact of device testing on customer retention
According to FounderJar research, 80% of users abandon a site that doesn’t display correctly on their smartphones, while a Google study found 53% of users abandon an app that takes longer than 3 seconds to load.
Resolves device-related issues before players bounce
Crowdtesting plays a pivotal role in recognizing device-related issues, including:
- Extended game loading times
- App or platform crashes
Players expect their favorite games to perform flawlessly on the device of their choice, and device testing ensures these expectations are met, regardless of the platform.
By providing an optimal user experience, iGaming platforms can enhance player engagement and retain a loyal user base.
Given the importance of Cost Per Acquisition (CPA) in the iGaming industry, retaining acquired players is vital. If players encounter device-related problems and abandon a game due to poor performance or crashes, it not only wastes acquisition costs but also damages the platform’s reputation.
Players who have a negative experience are less likely to return or recommend the platform to others. Effective device testing, bolstered by crowdtesting, is vital for keeping players engaged, satisfied, and loyal, ultimately contributing to a successful iGaming business.
Optimizing iGaming with device crowdtesting
- Reduces testing costs significantly by eliminating the need for physical devices and testing infrastructure investments.
- Provides a flexible pricing model, allowing you to scale testing efforts based on your budget and project requirements.
- Enables access to a diverse pool of testers worldwide, offering insights into various regions and demographics.
- Ensures your game is tested across different network conditions and devices used in various parts of the world.
- Identifies device-related issues in real-world usage scenarios, like latency, loading times, and crashes.
- Mimics the actual user experience, revealing how the game performs under typical usage patterns and conditions.
- Allows for quick scaling of testing efforts, ensuring simultaneous testing on multiple devices and platforms.
- Speeds up the testing process, reducing the time it takes to bring your game to market and gain a competitive edge.
- Enhances product quality by identifying critical issues that might have been missed through traditional testing methods.
- Enables iterative testing and improvements, leading to a more polished, satisfying user experience.
- Boosts revenue by improving user satisfaction, reducing churn rates, and increasing player retention.
- Enhances brand reputation, attracting more players and encouraging them to spend more time and money on your platform.
Insights and feedback:
- Provides valuable insights and feedback directly from real users, offering actionable information for refinement and innovation.
- Helps you understand user preferences and expectations, aligning your development strategies with market demands.
By embracing device crowdtesting, you can optimize your testing process, enhance your product quality, and provide an exceptional gaming experience to your users—all while positively impacting your bottom line.
Achieving excellence in the iGaming industry necessitates a steadfast commitment to boots-on-the-ground device testing. The proliferation of mobile offerings for iGaming and sports betting presents a complex challenge for developers — but a systematic approach to device testing can convert these challenges into opportunities.
A seamless user experience not only ensures player satisfaction but also serves as a cornerstone for retaining more loyal customers, improving CPAs and generally building a solid reputation as a reliable iGaming option for users to enjoy.
Consider collaborating with Testa, we provide the data you need from crowdtesting device compatibility.